Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha)
Mexican Bush Sage
This Mexican Sage Bush is a favorite throughout Southern California and we love to plant them on dry slopes, in mixed beds and as a colorful addition to a rock garden. Part of Salvia leucantha’s popularity is due to its velvet-like purple flower spikes that bloom from summer to fall, attracting hummingbirds along the way and creating a colorful scene that you have to see to believe! These are great water-wise plants that can add some much needed color into any drought tolerant landscape.
Native to Central America and eastern Mexico, the Mexican Bush Sage is hardy and can tolerate full sun to partial sun exposures. They are low-water use plants, so once established, they will have low to moderate watering needs. We also love to plant them where they can have some room to grow and where anyone can enjoy their very attractive foliage and the butterflies cavorting with the blooming salvias.
Palm Paradise is proud to offer all of our customers the best quality Mexican Bush Sage plants anywhere. We have been growing them for over 20 years, using only our own private stock of premium quality specimens. We are the only ones that do this and can assure their quality! We have what you need to transform your landscape including professional landscape design services and a top notch landscaping crew ready to do the work!
- Also known as Velvet Sage
- Tall spikes of purple flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies
- Some people cut the flowers for use in flower arrangements
- Has gained the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit
- One of the most ornamental of all Salvias
- Tip: Shear them to the ground once a year and this Mexican Bush Sage is eager to grow back quickly into a full bush that can produce lots of flowers!
Beautiful spikes of purple flowers
Summer months present long pointed spikes of blue/purple blooms