Mexican Heather (Cuphea hyssopifolia)
Plant Mexican Heather into your landscape and enjoy the summertime spectacle of a landscape awash in beautiful purple flowers! Native to Mexico and Central America, Cuphea hyssopifolia can provide the colors you want during those warm summer months and well into fall. These versatile, compact shrubs have a fast growth rate and re-bloom continuously, so we love to plant them for adding seasonal color into beds and borders or use them to soften the edge of sidewalks. We also love to use them in rock gardens - they add curb appeal no matter where or how you plant them!
Cuphea hyssopifolia like to grow in an area that gets partial to full sun exposures. These are easy care, low maintenance plants, and once established, will have low to moderate watering needs. Some people love to plant Mexican Heather in pots and baskets, where they look fantastic on a patio, balcony or gracing the steps of an entryway. These are also good plants for poolside planting or near water fountains. If you’ve been looking for something that can add just the right amount of color to your landscape, consider this Cuphea for adding the great harmonizing color of purple!
Is it time for a landscape revamp? Get started today and let us show you how we can transform any size landscape with our custom-grown trees and plants that are grown only from our premium quality specimens!
- Also known as False Heather, False Mexican Heather, Hawaiian Heather, and Elfin Herb
- Has gained the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit
- Blooms profusely with small, trumpet-shaped flowers from Summer into Fall – flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies
- An excellent choice for adding seasonal summer color
- Can be used as a houseplant, in landscapes, and is an excellent container plant for decks, patios and porches
Small evergreen shrub
Covered in tiny light purple flowers in spring and fall
Excellent in planters and beds
Use in borders and rock gardens